Definition of Isolation
Those who lack reasonable and reliable access to other people, services and resources, and have no regular contact with other families and children. They may be faced with the challenge of isolation through factors such as such as social, emotional, cultural, economic or geographical circumstances or live in a disadvantaged locality.
Definition of Disadvantage
"Socio-economic advantage and disadvantage in terms of people's access to material and social resources, and their ability to participate in society" -Australian Bureau of Statistics
Isolation and Contact
For some people, isolation is a choice – they enjoy living in remote areas or without adult company. For others, particularly those with children, separation from others can be a challenging. Contact works with isolated children, families and communities to help address the negative impact of isolation like little or no access or knowledge of services, people and resources. Isolation can be caused by many factors such as:
- Not knowing what services and supports may be available
- Asking for assistance is difficult even if you are aware of the services
- To access Services having to travel very long distances often over appalling roads which costs money and is time consuming
- Feeling inadequate because of a social situation, lack of confidence or self-esteem;
- Having no friends or family close by;
- Feeling lonely or bored or lack motivation;
- Levels of Literacy
- Poor phone and internet connectivity
- Have poor health and or children with a disabilit or additional needs; and
- Living far away from a service centre or in an area that has extreme climatic circumstances.
- Housing conditions and access to basic connections such as reliable clean water, electricity, etc.
- Circumstances out of peoples control like; Drought, Flood, bushfires, COVID
- Cultural Background
- Being unfamiliar with our language or customs
- Having no money or money, no phone, no internet access or no services;
- Not having access to transport such as a car or public transport